Xarchiver: behaviour of switch -n for Thunar integration

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Jun 28 12:28:01 CEST 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:10:58 +0200, jp wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:25:24 +0200, Colossus wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I developed the switch -n this way:
> >>
> >> -n, --new=[archive name] [file1] [file2] ... [fileN]        Ask for
> >> the archive to be created, add files to it and quits.
> >>
> >> Someone have asked me to change it to:
> >> -n, --new [file1]  [file2] [fileN] ...
> >> Prompt for the archive name to create, and add files given in cmd
> >> line in this new archive.
> >>
> >> My question are:
> >> 1) which behaviour is best for Thunar integration ?
> >> 2) shall I change the behaviour of other switches always for Thunar
> >> integration ?
> >>

> > AFAIK, Thunar doesn't use the -n switch and thus, it's not needed
> > for Thunar integration. It might be useful when working with
> > Xarchiver from a terminal, though.
> >
> > Thunar already is supports creating archives and also provides a
> > dialog where you can choose the archive type and enter a filename.
> >
> I didn't knew that xarchiver was already usable through a Thunar
> plugin! Thanks for the information, please could you explain me how I
> can test this ?

Well, I can't tell whether it works or not, but you can use the
thunar-archive-plugin to create/update/extract archives using
file-roller and (in the future) Xarchiver.

> When I proposed the -n command line I was thinking about using a
> Thunar "custom command" to call xarchiver, which is a simple and
> efficient solution.
>
> You're true to write that Thunar doesn't use a "-n" switch, and it
> won't do it, as long as you don't ask him to :)

The conclusion of my last message is that - if I'm right - the "-n"
switch is not used by thunar-archive-plugin. Hence, we don't need it
for Thunar integration, which is what this topic is all about.

- Jannis