Xarchiver 0.3.9svn: who wants to test it ?

jp jp.guillemin at free.fr
Fri Jun 23 17:35:18 CEST 2006

Stephan Arts wrote:
> On 6/22/06, jp <jp.guillemin at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Colossus wrote:

>>> :) thank you,
>>>

>> Here are my test results :
>>
>> 1) compile cleanly with latest svn xfce-dev-tools : OK
>>
>> 2) install OK, desktop menu entry is there : OK
>>
>> 3) trying a drag&drop extract from tar.gz : failed, I get : "Invalid
>> filename provided by XDS drag site."
>>
>> 4) xarchiver -a test.tgz : failed to create the archive, I get "Can't
>> open archive test.tgz: No such file or directory"
>>     and then a nice "Segmentation fault" (after closing the message box)
>>
>> 5) xarchiver -e archive.tgz : OK
>>
>> 6) xarchiver -d archive.tar.gz test.txt : failed : archive is destroyed
>> (empty)
>>
>> 7) xarchiver -x folder archive.tar.gz : OK
>>
>> 8) opening a tar.gz archive : OK
>>
>> 9) opening a tar.bz2 archive : OK
>>
>> 10) drag and drop add to archive : always fails : "The format of this
>> archive is not recognized !"
>>

>> A feature request :
>>
>> A new option, something like :
>> -n, --new [file1]  [file2] [fileN] ...                           Prompt
>> for the archive name to create, and add files in this new archive.
>>
>> ->> Would be interesting to be used as a Thunar custom command (btw :
>> it's the only option that I would really use :)
>>

> Why would you want that? The only difference between this and add i
> can think of is that you can let add complain if the archive does not
> exist where new would not be so difficult and just creates it. Is this
> what you mean?

PLease look at the following :

-a, --add [archive name]                                    Add files to
the specified archive by asking their filenames and quits.

-n, --new [file1]  [file2] [fileN] ...                           Prompt for the archive name to create, and add files in this new archive.

These 2 options are totally different :
The former (add) want an archive name from the command line, and prompt for files to add.
The second (my new one) want the list of files to add from the command line, and will prompt for the name of the archive.

The former is useful to add files in an existing archive, and (mostly) useless to create an archive, ..., the second has the opposite usage

Cheers ;)

JP