openusability

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Jun 23 07:17:26 CEST 2006

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:49:51 +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> would there be interest on getting specific Xfce apps or even the
>> whole desktop getting checked out by usability people?  I have met
>> Ellen Reitmayr from the Open Usability project and she said that time
>> and resources permitting, they are willing to help out any open source
>> projects that requests their input.
>>
>> http://openusability.org/
>
>>From what I saw on this page, I assume there are hundreds, if not
> thousands of projects and developers registered looking for usability
> experts to look at their apps - but most projects (even Debian, amaroK,
> Inkscape) don't seem to gain much interest or attention.

moreover there seems to be a clear lack as to what "openusability" is, does,
and what it doesn't do. Right now it's nothing more than a wiki with some
completely unusable (pun intended) information on it.

> Even though I kinda like the idea behind this community, taking part
> in this with Xfce will be wasteful effort at the current stage.

agreed, and until openusability comes up with clear guidelines and becomes an
accepted (or serious) group in OSS land, we're better off spending time on
Xfce itself.

Cheers,

Auke