More prefered applications

Stefan Stuhr xfce4devlist at sstuhr.dk
Mon Jun 19 21:53:52 CEST 2006

man, 19 06 2006 kl. 21:34 +0200, skrev jp:
> Right, but I don't want to specify any URL or file,  just use the
> "--launch" option, it's intended for menus.
>
> exo-open tells me :
>
> Usage: exo-open [URLs...]
>        exo-open --launch TYPE [PARAMETERs...]
>
>   -h, --help                          Print this help message and exit
>   -v, --version                       Print version information and exit
>
>   --launch TYPE [PARAMETERs...]       Launch the preferred application of
>                                       TYPE with the optional PARAMETERs,
> where
>                                       TYPE is one of the following values.
>
> The following TYPEs are supported for the --launch command:
>
>   WebBrowser       - The preferred Web Browser.
>   MailReader       - The preferred Mail Reader.
>   TerminalEmulator - The preferred Terminal Emulator.
>
> If you don't specify the --launch option, exo-open will open all specified
> URLs with their preferred URL handlers. Else, if you specify the --launch
> option, you can select which preferred application you want to run, and
> pass additional parameters to the application (i.e. for TerminalEmulator
> you can pass the command line that should be run in the terminal).

I didn't understood what you meant at first, but I think I get it now.

I assume that you want to do something like this:
exo-open --launch FileManager
exo-open --launch InstantMessenger
exo-open --launch WordProcessor
exo-open --launch MusicPlayer

You can't currently do that, and I don't think it would be a good idea
to support all kinds of possible applications in this way. It would make
booth exo-open and the GUI in exo-preferred-applications way too
complicated, IMHO.

Stefan