Default desktop colors

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 04:57:07 CEST 2006

On 5/30/06, Jannis Pohlmann <info at sten-net.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:59:49 +0000, daniele favara wrote:
>
> > On 5/30/06, Stephan Arts <psybsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > There is a reason ppl do not like green, and it has something to do
> > > with color-blindness.
> > >
> > > I don't know exactly what it is, but to some people green can be
> > > offensive.
> >
> > yes it has something to do with color-blindness ... but i'm not sure
> > this is the case .. with that pathology ppl can distinguish a red
> > triangle on a green background
>
> No, not necessarily. A friend of mine asked our profs to not use red
> chalk anymore when writing on the green boards in our lecture rooms.
>
> So you're right, I completely forgot about that color-blindness fact.
> Maybe we should use either a light blue or something very discreet
> fitting into our color scheme.

*Ahem*

(that's the noise of me putting on my UI hat and preparing to speak.
So's ya know)

There is no problem,  color blindness/UI wise with green. Green-Red
color blindness is the most common form of color blindness. But the
second most common is Blue-Yellow. The only UI problem with green (as
regards color blindness) is that asking users to make distinctions
between red and green is difficult. Fathers -always- pass color
blindness on to their male sons, and many people are unaware they have
mild forms of color blindness. So don't put red text on a green field,
and we're okay. The same is true of blue text on a yellow field, or
similarly shaped green and red icons.

The only other problem I know of with green is that as you get towards
that end of the spectrum (more and more yellow) the eyes have trouble
discerning edges, and figures get less and less sharp. Try to read
yellow text, even on a dark background, and your eyes get pissed off

> - Jannis

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."