C++ patch or .desktop file for desktop icons

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Mon Jul 31 10:38:35 CEST 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:19:00 +0530, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
wrote:

> That's all well and good, but we don't have the resources that either
> GNOME or Gentoo have.  Not to besmirch the non-coding help we've gotten,
> but I believe on one occasion when we tried to have a non-coder act as
> release coordinator, he himself wasn't available during the next
> release.  That's no one's fault; people just have more important things
> to do in their everyday lives sometimes.

You notice that I wasn't volunteering. :) However, Daniel was and I think
it's an offer that needs to be seriously considered.

> It would be nice if we released more often, sure.  I think the problem
> isn't really not having the time to do the releases, it's that we can't
> make ourselves stop.  It's the "one more feature" mentality, and we
> reinforce it as we go along.  I know I think, "but if I don't get this
> feature in before 4.4, it'll be at least another 14-16 months before
> this feature gets into stable 4.6."  It's self-feeding.  If we were to
> do a stable release every 6 months, it wouldn't be so bad: "eh, I can't
> get this finished now, but it'll be in the next stable in 6 months."

That is the problem as I see it. We've had some great stuff in svn for
months, but it isn't available to anybody but the people willing to track
svn or download BETA tarballs. Look at Thunar, for example. There are
features that we had first in svn (compositing comes to mind) but were old
hat by the time we released.

> I guess the question is... can we do that?  After we get 4.4 out the
> door, can we really say, "hey, 4.6 is coming out in 6 months, no matter
> how many or few features we get to put in".  And really, SVN trunk
> doesn't need to be rock-stable when we do that.  That's what the betas
> and the RCs are for, to stabilise the development branch.

It requires effort and could probably be done if everybody agrees that it
is worthwhile.