XDG menu implementation

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Thu Jul 27 12:13:29 CEST 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 04:30:09 +0200, Stefan Stuhr wrote:

> tor, 27 07 2006 kl. 04:15 +0200, skrev Jannis Pohlmann:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > some might have noticed it: I've started to work on the XDG menu
> > implementation I was talking about when we discussed Google's SoC.
> >
> > I'd like to discuss several topics in this mail:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Please tell me what you think about it - does the concept sound ok
> > to you? Personally, I really like it and I think it's a good
> > starting point.
>
> Could this library be used for a menu editor, too? Or will it only be
> able to read the menu?

Menu editing is a very complex topic. I'll try to make the library as
flexible as possible. E.g. I won't drop menus which are marked
as deleted (as the spec says). Instead, there will be a function to
check if a menu should be displayed or not. Via GObject properties,
it's very easy to change menu details, but the most difficult part is
how to save changed menus / directories / desktop entries.

So it's not completely impossible, but it has low priority at the
moment. At least, menu editors can use the library to load a menu
structure. If they implement saving the modifications by themselves,
that's all they need.

- Jannis