accessibility configuration

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jul 13 18:22:43 CEST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hello
>
> one of the goals of the upcoming xubuntu is to add as many accessibility
> features out of the box as Gnome and KDE already provide.
>
> There's an informational doc written up about this
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/XubuntuAccessibility
>
> What do you think is the best place to add a config GUI for enabling
> various features on startup (set up the environment so all GTK apps are
> accessible, start the screen magnifier, on-screen-keyboard, speech tools)
>
> It could probably be a tool entirely separate from Xfce but if you have
> ideas about how to better fit it in the desktop I am curious.

xfce4-session already offers support to start AT services (if build with
gconf), but that's only a starting point.

Most Xfce apps that use standard widgets should be accessible to a
certain degree. Thunar offers nearly complete AT support (except for the
icon view currently), with AT names/descriptions set where appropriate.

Better AT integration would be nice for all of Xfce.

> thanks
> Jani

Benedikt