adding support for hibernation to xfce4-sessions's exit dialog

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 12:31:15 CEST 2006

> Hm, but why do both Windows and OSX work out of the box here then? (yes,
> not a very qualified statement)

As you probably guessed, because of actual interaction between hw
manufacturers and Microsoft, and very close interaction between apple
systems software and apple hardware developers ;)

> IMHO, the whole power management stuff (including the battery plugin)
> should be done in a sane and well-integrated way, w/o any unnecessary
> action on the users side. I'm not sure, but maybe GNOME's power manager
> is worth a look? Dunno how messed up it is, but maybe we can convince
> them to clean it up, so we can use it in Xfce as well? That'd probably
> reduce the additional overhead.

G-p-m has user interaction for the same reasons.

Investigating g-p-m is one of the xubuntu edgy goals. Apparently as for
many other useful gnome apps the only thing tying it to the extra ~30
gnome lib dependencies is GnomeClient used by the libgnomeui library.
If they'd use exo they'd be set ;)

Which brings me to something I wanted to ask you anyway: it seems to me
that if single-instance-apps API as used by thunar and xfce4-terminal
woudl be available in exo, it would be another good reason for gnome to
use it. They need such a thing and AFAIK evince is the only one that
does it reasonably well.
Of course I did not talk to gnome devels about this, but how does this
look to you? It'd be a good step in helping reducing bloat in gnome and
helping cross-(GTK)-desktop stuff while project ridley is shaping up.

Anyway I'll keep you updated wrt gnome-power-manager.

Jani