adding support for hibernation to xfce4-sessions's exit dialog

Andre Puschmann andre.puschmann at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Thu Jul 13 11:41:17 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Andre Puschmann wrote:
>> adding a new tab to "Session and Startup Settings" called "Hibernation"
>> where i can enable/disable hibernation-buttons and where i can specify
>> which command is used is a quite good idea.
>> i can do that if this is ok for you?
>>
>> i mean, even if your hardware does support hibernation there this is no
>> guarantee for it to work. if your hibernate-script is not configured
>> properly hibernation might fail.
>> it think let the user decide whether to enable or disable it is not to
>> bad, isn't it?
>>
>> another question: i never worked with hal so far. are there any good
>> documents about how it works and how to use it?
>
> That sounds a lot like an "unbreak my software" option. Really, we don't
> need any more confusing settings dialog pages. Either the hardware
> supports it, and the distribution's scripts are ok, or most users will
> be unable to figure out anyway. Do it right, or don't do it at all, IMHO.

ok, so just a toggle button under "Logout settings" which decides
whether do display the buttons or not would be ok?
i figured out how to check for hibernation using hal but even that says
only that there is suspend/suspend2 support in /proc .. but nothing
about if it really works (maybe other problems e.g. bios, needed
workarounds like vbesave/vbepost).
on the other hand, hal says nothing about which hibernate-script to use
.. what is your desired method?
all at all i must say it is very difficult to just provide a simple and
easy to use solution that just works.

regards

andre