adding support for hibernation to xfce4-sessions's exit dialog

Andre Puschmann andre.puschmann at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Jul 12 23:15:27 CEST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
> Rodrigo Coacci wrote:
>> I guess it should also check for system capability for doing those
>> things. I read somewhere else that a simple "cat /proc/something" or
>> /sys/something should do the trick. I'm telling this because if
>> hibernate is called in a system no "ready" for it, it may cause real
>> data loss.... I don't know how xubuntu ppl work around this, maybe they
>> already have some better HAL-based solution
>
> Asking HAL, but also allowing the user to disable suspend/hibernate from
> the settings dialog, as having /sys/power or similar as you mention is
> no guarrantee that hibernation works, it only says that support for it
> is in the currently running kernel. Ubuntu uses a list of supported
> laptops which are known to work but still user input is needed.
>
> Jani

adding a new tab to "Session and Startup Settings" called "Hibernation"
where i can enable/disable hibernation-buttons and where i can specify
which command is used is a quite good idea.
i can do that if this is ok for you?

i mean, even if your hardware does support hibernation there this is no
guarantee for it to work. if your hibernate-script is not configured
properly hibernation might fail.
it think let the user decide whether to enable or disable it is not to
bad, isn't it?

another question: i never worked with hal so far. are there any good
documents about how it works and how to use it?

regards
andre