Where is my menu file?

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Wed Jul 5 02:24:31 CEST 2006

Bruno Jesus wrote:
>> In xfce 4.4, the menu file loaded is either
>> /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml (system-wide) or
>> ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml. For a customized menu, you should
>> create/modify the latter.
>>

> Yes, but the menu file doesn't exist and it's being used. That's the problem.

You're accessing the menu via the panel, i.e. the menu plugin. Does the
menu also show when you open it via the desktop (right-click)?
There should be files like
~/.config/xfce4/panel/xfce4-menu-11455634337.rc, belonging to the panel
configuration stuff. Can you find something like that?
In there are normally information about the location of the menu file
being used for the panel plugin.

Do you have a backup of your previous menu.xml (which you used as user
aluno)? If so, copy it to
/home/bruno/.config/xfce4/desktop/, specify that path in the menu
properties dialog and see what happens. Did you try to use the default
menu? Will it load properly and what does it look like? Did you try to
edit the menu via the Edit Menu button? If the file doesn't exist, an
error message should pop up.
When I specify a wrong path in the menu properties dialog, that path
will be accepted without error message, but no menu is shown.

Maybe there's also the possibility that your old installation become
mixed up with the new one?

Just some thoughts.

Nick.