no more desktop menu pop-up?

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sat Jan 21 01:42:37 CET 2006

Problem is now fixed. The test for libxfcegui4 was commented out in the
configure.ac file, and without libxfcegui4, the menu plugin will not load.

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> On 1/20/2006 3:47 PM, Mr Machine wrote:
>> sofar wrote:
>>> I'm adding this FAQ to the FAQ - if the right-click menu is missing or suddenly the desktop wallpaper disappears - chances are that your xfdesktop program died. Here's the (updated) FAQ entry for this:
>>>
>>> + My desktop or desktop menu has disappeared!?
>>>
>>> It appears that xfdesktop is no longer in control of the desktop. Often
>>> xfdesktop has died, or some other program took over the desktop. Make
>>> sure that xfdesktop is still running first. Nautilus takes over the
>>> desktop by default too. Please start nautilus with the --no-desktop
>>> flag, or use gconfig-editor and unset the flag that tells nautilus to
>>> handle the desktop. Start xfdesktop again and you should be OK again.
>>
>> very strange. xfdesktop *wasn't* running - and i couldn't get it to run
>> unless xffm-deskview was killed :(

You can get it to run without killing xffm-deskview, but you must not
define a background image. This is why xffm-deskview does *not* define the
background. That is what xffm-root does. And that's why nautilus won't
kill xffm-deskview (last time I checked) when it makes it's move on the
desktop.

> Not surprising.  They aren't intended to coexist.  xfdesktop will quit
> on startup if it detects another MANAGER selection owner on that screen.
> Unfortunately, most other desktop managers aren't so polite.
>
>> something must have changed recently, because as far as i know they
>> could co-exist before, but now seem to be mutually exclusive? problem is
>> that xfdesktop doesn't give icons on the desktop, but xffm-deskview
>> (which does put icons on desktop) no longer shows the menu pop-up on
>> right-click - even though i've set it to do so in the file manager
>> settings.
>
> I thought Edscott added a plugin to the deskview so you could still get
> at the menu, but I'm not sure.

No plugin at all. Personally, I do not use the xfdesktop menu plugin, but
it's the best and prettiest I've seen.

So if libxfcegui4 is installed when compiling xffm, and xfdesktop is
installed any time later on, and the user defines the appropriate envars
with the mcs manager or otherwise, the menu plugin code is loaded and made
available.