How to get to the Xfce 4.4 website

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:28:21 CET 2006

On 1/15/06, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org > wrote:

> Nick Schermer schreef:
> > A couple of small changes:
> > * location bar
>
> Good idea.
>
> > * 1 color blue
> > * added x2 logo in content pages, not on the front page (yet)
>
> I don't know what the agreement is with the text links that are in there
> now. Olivier?
>
> > * Koqueror complaint
> > * Font change, hope it's better readable now, it not give me a good
> > readable website url :-).
>
> It's still using fixed font sizes. Don't do that. Use 100% for default
> fonts and, I would say, between 80% and 200% for other fonts.

MM i found the problem with all the fonts, i used p,div,li,a { font-size}
so text gets smaller every item... (when relative) fixed now.. (But i cannot
commit in subdirs right now, so you'll have to wait
:-))<http://www-test.xfce.org/>

 I have tried putting everything at 100%, h1..5 at 140%, and download at
> 150%. The restult looks ok to me, but you may want to make some
> non-content parts a bit smaller.
>
> > * Some divs will scale better now, 'download Xfce 4.4' divs will be
> > replaced later.
> > * Works better on 800x600.
> > * Striped css
> > * Something i've forgotten.
> >
> > - home sample < http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/nickschermer/wwwxfce/>
> > - content sample
> > < http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/nickschermer/wwwxfce/projects.html >
> >

> Very nice indeed. I was wondering if the sidebar size should be relative
> as well. 13em for the container, 12em for the menu seems to work fairly
> well.

You version with ems doesn't work here, so i changed the sidebar to be
relative (with %). Does this work for you? (Not committed yet...)

Also, maybe we could just use liguid layout with a maximum-width. I
> personally would prefer not to have alternative stylesheets. Something
> like this:
>
>   #global-page {
>          width: 100%;
>          max-width: 70em;
>   }

On <1280 the  liquid version is smaller than the fixed version. So i think
it's
better to stay with just 100%.

I just stole your site and made these changes, it looks like this:

> http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/nick.xfce.org/
>
> Used css files: http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/nick.xfce.org/css.tar.gz
>
> What do you think?

I thing it's fine with me.