Website Search

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Jan 12 18:04:44 CET 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:13:13 +0100, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/12/06, sofar <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:30:01 +0100, Nick Schermer
> <nickschermer at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > The question is: is it possible to search the mailing lists from php?
>> > forum should also be possible and the "new" website content well also
> be
>> searchable,
>> > including documentation.
>>
>> The current ML archive is huge - think a few GB's - one of the reasons
>> that I have google search all foo-projects mailinglists. There is a
>> primitive search interface using google at:
>>
>> http://foo-projects.org/node/23
>>
>> it would be trivial to merge this functionality with the new site - that
>> would be something I'll do for you.
>

> Okay, maybe it's better to search only the user mailing list, because this
> is the most 'user related'.

bugreports get filed to the -dev list, and I certainly want the ML search function to also include the announces as well (they contain feature descriptions, new stuff, major bugfixes etc).

IOW: it's easy to have google just search the users ML, but I would really want to offer a search for all of the xfce site, all mailinglists, specific mailinglists etc.

Don't worry about this now too, this is really for later IMO - perhaps just implement a "simple" search page for now (or a stub) and we'll get to it later.

Auke