How to get to the Xfce 4.4 website

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Jan 11 12:43:45 CET 2006

Brian J. Tarricone schrieb:
> Nick Schermer wrote:

>>>I've started working on the css. There will be 2 fontsizes: normal (69%)
>>>large (96%)
>>>and all fonts will be defined as 'em's (including margins).
>>>
>>>I hope this is good enough, atleast it works on the freebsd site.
>

> Normal = 100%.  Always.  Don't think that you know better than the
> visitor what font size is easiest for them to read.

Exactly. And please remember that margins and other related stuff will
also grow in size when the font size is increased. So if you define
*everything* via em (which is a relative size) users trying to make the
fonts larger in order to be able to read text better will see less of
the page (depending on their screen size), because margins and borders
become larger as well.

My opinion is to make fonts and containers relative in size and define
margins, borders etc. using pixel values (or, if it makes more sense, in
percent values, because this is related to the actual size of the screen).

Note: There may of course be exceptions.

Regards,
Jannis