How to get to Xfce 4.4

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Jan 9 17:13:34 CET 2006

I didn't have coffee yet today (and it's monday! eek!) but I'll toss in some comments:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:23:47 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> I have been playing a little with php and css to see if it would be
> possible to recreate the Xfce site layout with only css and in a
> slightly more maintainable way. Check the result at
> http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/new.xfce.org/ . It is missing most of the
> content, only 'Home' and 'About' have some ;-) I have tried to reduce to
> number of toplevel links to make things a little easier to find.

I would even consider changing some of the style elements a bit more - give it a fresh look instead of a "recycled" one ;^) (no offense to the decent html code!)

> It would be nice to have a small team to take care of the maintainance
> of the site, hopefully together with Francois. Someone probably needs to
> have a look at what kind of information we have to show and how this can
> best be presented.

Let me know where I can help - I might not redesign the website entirely myself but I've always been around and modified parts of the xfce website when needed. perhaps maintain the website in SVN? might help the group effort a bit.

> Other Xfce Projects
> ===================
>
> I'd like to see Xfce develop further towards a small desktop project
> with a number of independent subprojects that provide additional
> functionality. It should be easy to find links to these projects on
> xfce.org.
>
> www.xfce.org
> - i18n.xfce.org
> - goodies.xfce.org
> - xffm.xfce.org
>
> [snip]
>
> Ok, now, all of this won't happen without people actually taking time to
> work on it. And this has always been our problem :(

This probably benefits the most from having a thoroughly developed site-layout - something people can reuse easily!

> I need someone to manage and coordinate the plugins on the xfce goodies
> project as well as handle the possible move to the xfce server and
> update of the website. I'd like to propose Nicolas Masse for this job,
> if he agrees, and maybe some other active goodies developers to help
> out, like Fabian Nowak and Nick Schermer (or anyone who volunteers).

as usual I'm all available for this - but it is a great idea to have a -goodies manager. I suggest we also create a separate toplevel SVN repo for them and assign different admins (very easily done). This allows us to separate devs and permissions easily while still have full read-access to all developers etc.

> Maybe it would be nice if all developers would reply to this mail with a
> indication of what they plan to do before 4.4.
>

> Phew! I need a coffee now. Or two.

and breakfast!

Auke