semi-off: my nameday and Paltanen

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Jan 8 08:53:37 CET 2006

Alexander Toresson schreef:
> On 1/8/06, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/7/2006 10:57 AM, SZERVÁC Attila wrote:
>>>  Hi Dear Devs !
>> Hey!
>>
>>>  This is a beautiful day & Happy New Year 4 You !
>>>
>>>  Reason:
>>>
>>>  This is my NameDay (like Attila the Powerful Hun King) & today Pekka
>>> Hartikka submitted a lot of long-awaited real `Nature' backgrounds 2
>>> xfce-look.org including the beautiful `Paltanen' lake image:
>>>
>>>  http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php?content=33461
>>>
>>>  and others under GNU GPL license :-))
>>>
>>>  I think, among of standard Xfce backgrounds must be a few `Nature'
>>> backrounds (like Flower.jpg) and not just Xfce-Mouse backgrounds, 'cause
>>> `Nature' backgrounds are extremely popular.
>>>
>>>  I know, this is the early consolidation stage of 4.4 alpha1, but I'd like
>>> strongly suggest this
>>>
>>>  http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php?content=33461
>>>
>>>  beautiful image -> standard Xfce backgrounds. Brian ??
>>>
>>>  THX, Devs 4 Your audience & beautiful coding !
>>>
>>>  sas aka satie, Hungarian Xfce translator :-)
>> Sounds like a cool idea to me.  It would be nice if they could somehow
>> be made Xfce-ish, maybe by integrating the mouse somewhere.  Or maybe
>> not: I know when I find random backdrops, it kinda annoys me if there's
>> some branded portion to it that I don't care about.

First of all, that's a beautiful background indeed. Also, we do need a
new default look for Xfce 4.4, since that is what we do for all our
major releases ;)

However, until now we have always chosen a background that fits with the
idea of a small, fast desktop. I think having a huge photo as a
background might not be the best choice for a default.

It would be nice, though, to have one or two 'nature' backgrounds in
xfdesktop. On the other hand, I don't think it is a problem at all to
tell people to go to xfce-look.org to find more backgrounds.

>> So... which ones go in, and which don't?  I'd rather not put too many of
>> them in since that'll increase the tarball size by quite a bit.  Or
>> maybe just include a single default backdrop with xfdesktop, and create
>> an xfce4-desktop-backgrounds package?  Though I know we've been trying
>> to decrease the number of packages, not increase...
>>
>>         -brian
>>

> Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to revive and update the
> xfce4-artwork package at xfce-goodies.berlios.de?

Actually, in my opinion, xfce-look.org is much better suited for this
than any package. It's always up-to-date and you can install only the
ones you like.

Of course, if anyone wants to adopt the xfce4-artwork package and manage
new releases, that's perfectly alright.

	Jasper