xfce menu and exo open

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Feb 24 16:31:35 CET 2006

daniele favara wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm testing xfce and i have to say it improved very much since the last release.
>
> i'm really happy i trusted xfce and i used it as default DM on my proj.
>
> i like very much even the exo-open stuff and i think it could be used
> even in xfce menu and thunar uca.xml:
>
> exo-open  --launch TerminalEmulator
>
> the same for Browser.

Sure. It should probably also be in the default panel setup; maybe
WebBrowser, MailReader, TerminalEmulator, Pager, Logout, Clock... but
that's Jasper's business.

The default uca.xml serves as an example; while it's possible to use

 "sh -c 'cd \"%f\" && exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator'"

it doesn't really present a good example.

 "Terminal --working-directory %f"

is brief and therefore a better example how the custom actions work.

That said, I could add a --working-directory option to exo-open as well,
hm, dunno... file a bug report if you think it's useful. ;)

> as xfce cames with 2 fms .. xffm and thunar, is it possible to change
> the entry in the menu.xml with an "exo-open" like solution ?
> at the moment there is:
> <app name="File Manager (xffm)" cmd="xffm" icon="file-manager"/>

sh -c 'exo-open $HOME'

should do the trick.

> ciao
> df