xfdesktop - desktop menu strange behaviour

daniele favara danjele at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 10:38:23 CET 2006

On 2/14/06, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> daniele favara wrote:

> >> This is a very old bug that I might have reintroduced recently, though
> >> I'm not seeing it here.  Please update to latest SVN; tell me your
> >> revision and if it's still happening.  Also let me know your gtk version.
> >>

> > that issue is something i found recently using gtk ...  i'm pretty
> > sure it's not an X bug but a strange behaviour of gtk lib ... maybe
> > i'm wrong .. but from what i doscovered it seems you should re-draw
> > the desktop on_expose events. Anyway it's strange it didn't happen
> > before.
> >
> > PS: esetroot has a nice code that could solve this:
>
> Actually, you just don't have any idea what you're taking about.  It's
> an expose-event handling change introduced in either gtk 2.4 or 2.6.

i've never seen gtk 2.4 ... so for me it's not been introduced, maybe
i have no idea of what i'm talking about ... but from my tests gtk
stuff doesn't work very well when it has to draw on gtk.gdk.Window
and worst on root window.

> And of course you have to redraw things on expose events

yes ... i told you that because it doesn't seem to happen.

i attached some tests i did:

issue1.py:

line 47-48 --> that has no sense for me

issue2.py:

maximize the window ... or just move it around

dialog.py:

that's a solution for issue1 ...

i pasted the code of esetroot because it uses xlibs ... and in my
opinion it's a good choice for drawing on desktop, the intention was
just to tell you that it exists .. not that u should use it.

About transparent labels ...

on a thread i asked what was the xfce devel opinion for desktop icons
.. as i needed them i decided to play with pygtk and write an app for
that. Obviously if there is an xfce app that can do that ... i use it,
if an app does't do what i would .. i send a feature request to the
developer and a patch when i can ... unfortunalty during this period
i'm focusinng on pygtk .. so i can just annoy you. As soon as i can
i'll take a look on xfce api.

ciao

PS:link to pygtk app i'm playing with to draw desktop icons

http://dsslive.org/dicons.tar.gz