icon theme

daniele favara danjele at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:14:14 CET 2006

On 2/14/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> daniele favara wrote:
> > system-users (system-group) icon is not to use as Benny does ...
> > obviously this is just his own opinion, but that icon is not for that
> > pourpose.
> >
> > He told those two icons in thunar are not really useful, as they even
> > ruin the text alignment:
> >
> > http://www.dsslive.org/mediawiki/images/Sys-icon.png
> >
> > and i agree, but i can't really say he was open to suggestions :) ...
> > he didn't try to understand | ask why thunar is using those icons ...
> > he just told me "that 's not the way" ..
>
> The icons make the dialog look busy, but on the other hand, it also
> makes it very easy to locate the important information (user/group), you
> do not have to read all the labels; that's why I added those icons.
>
> Will there be a replacement for "stock_person" in the icon naming spec?

<nomed> dobey, i don't see system-users in the spec ..
<nomed> what does it mean ?
<dobey> even more of a reason to not use it for something else
<dobey> it means it's not in the spec then
<nomed> k
<dobey> the icon in question is meant to be used for the app icon for
a system tool for configuring users/groups though
<dobey> not as a stock icon for random usage like in the file manager
<nomed> :)
<nomed> dobey, i would just try to figure out if within the spec there
will be replacements of gnome icons ...
<dobey> nomed: not necessarily no
<dobey> nomed: most of the icons in gnome-icon-theme shouldn't even be there
<dobey> nomed: one of the goals is to help push for reduction in icon
usage in the desktop
<dobey> if there is a particular icon you're wondering will be in the
spec or not, the answer is probably not likely
<nomed> dobey, k
<dobey> and some of the icon names in the spec, will not be there much longer
<nomed> dobey,  push for reduction in icon usage in the desktop <--
<dobey> ?
<nomed> do you mean it's better text then icon+text ?
<dobey> in a large number of cases, yes
<dobey> not always
<dobey> but yes, there are too many icons being used in the desktop as it is
<nomed> do you know any app that's already using those spec ?
<nomed> that has already chnged the names in the code or whatever ..
dobey> gtk+ and libgnomeui have code to prefer the icon names from the
spec, for mime types, although this doesn't work for some of the new
things, like x-office/*, but they get those via the symlinks
<dobey> other than that, in order to maintain compatibility with
already existing icon themes, people still use old names for things
<dobey> but hopefully most if not all of gnome 2.16, will use the spec
names for things