4.4 ETA?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Feb 12 22:21:55 CET 2006

Olivier Fourdan schreef:
> Jani Monoses wrote:
>> Now is the time to decide whether to use 4.2 or 4.4 for the release.
>> I am of course inclined to chose the latter and start uploading the
>> current svn snapshots but I wanted to see if other's opinions have
>> changed since last time the subject was discussed.
>>
>> There would be two months to test and stabilize this so I think the
>> risks are low, but would feel a lot more secure if I wasn't alone in
>> thinking this.
>>

> Okay, that's a good question. We were supposed to freeze by the end of
> the year, then by the end of January and now, I see that new stuff are
> still being added.
>
> Quite frankly, I'm loosing motivation, I would have definitely preferred
> freezing earlier and ship something stable but with less functionalities
> earlier.  Just my two cents, I'm not sure I really care anymore.

My feeling is we are beta testing without actually doing beta releases.
Maybe we should release what we have now as beta1 and fix the problems
people find. This is what I am trying to do at least.

There have never been more changes to the panel and plugins than for
this release (complete rewrite) since going from 3.x to 4.0, and at the
same time I have rather less time to spend on it than I used to...

I checked my commits from December until now and every single one was a
bug fix from me or applying a patch from someone else.

	Jasper