ah, desktop icons

daniele favara danjele at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:22:57 CET 2006

On 2/10/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > Hey all,
>
> Hey Brain,
>
> > I just did a bunch of work on the desktop icon support (it's nice when
> > I'm in meetings but don't really need to pay full attention).  Anyway,
> > if you want to give it a try, update to latest xfdesktop SVN, and select
> > it in the combo box in the desktop settings dialog.  Note that you have
> > to have thunar installed at compile-time for this to work.
> >
> > Things I know don't work but plan on fixing:
> >
> > * Files don't remember where they're placed on the desktop between sessions.

i wrote a similar application in pygtk, i needed it for my volume
manager ... mainly for devices, i use desktop fin iles.

X-Nomed-Position-x=-49
X-Nomed-Position-y=163

i connect to "motion-notify-event"

self.connect('motion-notify-event', self.motion_notify_event)

using a python module for xdg stuff i:

init_xdg.setval("X-Nomed-Position-x",x-x1)
init_xdg.setval("X-Nomed-Position-y",y-y1)

and then i write those values:

init_xdg.write()

this is what kde does ,i write the coordinates within each desktop
file, but kde uses just one file where there are all the icon
positions.

like:

[DEsktop path/to/file1]

x-coordinate=
y-coordinate=

[Desktop path/to/file2]

and so on ...

this was just to tell you as a possible solution ....