Idea: Merging Task List + System Tray + Program Launcher applets(demo included)

Mike Massonnet mike.massonnet at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 13:18:57 CET 2006

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 07:42:31PM +0800, robin wrote:
> I took the time to download Sonata, and enabled 'minimize to systray on
> close'.
> After that it started to behave like Kopete in the flash demo.
>
> So if you disable 'minimize to systray on close'. The icon in the taskbar
> would by default, function as a 'program launcher'.
>
> But I did find a problem when 'minimize to systray on close' is enabled.
> I've always thought, an app which is a systray (kopete/GAIM/klipper),
> normally does not allow more than 1 instance of the same app.
> Whereas, Sonata DOES. So I end up with more than 1 sonata icon in the
> systray.

You need to install the Python interface to DBUS so it can check for the
current instance and even show up again if is minimized.

> In this situation, I'm not sure where the extra icon should go in the
> 3-in-applet. Maybe it's smart enough to ignore it? I don't know.
> But you only really need no more than 1 instance of Sonata running, so I
> think the app itself should be fixed.

Many apps should be fixed in this case I guess.  As long there won't be
a standard or something like that for the systray, it won't work.
Sorry, but to me it doesn't make sense to mix systray+tasklist.  I did
note the good points:

1) Have a launcher (normal Xfce launchers) 2) click on one launcher (for
instance xfmedia) 3) show a button in the tasklist 4) the button has an
icon which behaves like a launcher and several instances are grouped in
this button.

I think that is what can work.

Kind Regards,
Mike
PS: there are no applets in Xfce for the panel, but plugins.
--
 http://massonnet.org/ Mike <m8t> Massonnet               _