Do we release a beta3/rc1 these days ?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Aug 21 17:49:15 CEST 2006

Jean-François Wauthy wrote:
> Do we go for a beta3 or a rc1 ? When i have an answer to that question i
> start bumping version in all packages and i create the tags.

rc1.

> If all devs could provide a descriptions of changes, that would be
> great.
>
> Benny, i won't touch thunar, libexo or terminal i let that to you unless
> you say otherwise.

I don't have time for a release right now. I'd vote to schedule 4.4rc1
for September, 2nd (Sat). This way we have some time to fix critical
bugs (i.e. Brian mentioned that he wants to change xfdesktop to use a
GDBusProxy for the trash instead of also polling the trash, which would
in addition fix the problem with the hanging menu, and so on). Also the
translations are not fully updated yet.

I'd suggest therefore the following roadmap for rc1:

 - Translation freeze: 08/31 (Fr)
 - Version bumps, tags: 09/01 (Sat)
 - Tarballs, Installers, Announcement: 09/02 (Sun)

Non-trivial source changes should not be committed after 08/29, so we
can do some testing (an rc1 should look somewhat stable) and also
rethink certain details of the default setup to get closer to sane
defaults for 4.4 (i.e. xfdesktop should display file icons by default if
possible, etc.).

> Cheers

Benedikt