Beta XFWM4/tasklist behaviour

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Wed Aug 16 15:55:03 CEST 2006

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Don Christensen <djc at cisco.com> wrote:
>> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>   *snip*
>> I'm all for this behavior with one possible modification.  Maybe if
>> the user has been idle for some period of time, the blinking can continue
>> until the user is no longer idle (see the gaim "I'm away from my desk"
>> mechanism for an example of this).  That way, when I come back from the
>> breakroom or whatever, I'll notice the blinking that I might otherwise
>> miss if it isn't still blinking when I get back.
>
> The idea is it would still be highlighted, just not blaring. You
> return to your desktop after, say, a bathroom break, first thing you
> do is look over everything to reorient yourself (I know, I've done eye
> tracking research which demonstrates this is exactly what the eye
> does).

Speaking only for myself, I know I would miss it most of the time.
I have two 20" LCDs at 1600x1200 each, with a 3x2 pager in a medium
size panel (I can't run later than 4.2.x on this machine) at the
bottom of the screen.  The whole pager is about the size of my
thumbnail, so a statically highlighted segment of it isn't going
to stand out, whereas blinking would draw my attention.

I'm not trying to force a decision, I'm comfortable with whatever
makes the most sense to the most people.  Actually, I'm comfortable
with whatever the developer (Brian in this case) decides, since I'm
not doing the work, just sponging off his good will and generosity.

I would suggest configurability, but I know that's avoided as much
as possible with Xfce, a policy with which I agree.

Thanks,
-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA