xfce mcs "dialog" isn't really a dialog

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Aug 15 21:22:39 CEST 2006

Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
>>To make a long story short: You have a rather different definition of
>>"dialog"
>>, which is limited to "question-like windows" and probably
>>"notification windows".
>
> Well, I can see that our definitions are different :)
> What's yours?
>
>>That's somewhat different from what is used in
>>user interfaces today.
>
> That is still to be demonstrated. :)

Just look at the terms in use today, like "about dialog", "properties
dialog" or "preferences dialog" (just to name three obvious examples).
You don't say "about window", "properties window" or "preferences
window", even tho these windows do not contain only a single question or
error message. And in fact these windows are dialogs, just like message
windows with questions or errors are dialogs.

In terms of GTK+, your definition is the GtkMessageDialog, but that
represents only a small subset of dialogs. And even if we would agree
that this definition does not make sense, it wouldn't matter wrt the
patch because the MCS dialog would not be the only thing to fix to make
it "work" with your patch, but thousands of other applications would
need to be "fixed". xfwm4 should work out-of-the-box with what is
available (up to a certain degree).

> cheers,
>   Danny

Benedikt