integration of xfg-utils

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at corsac.net
Sat Aug 12 10:34:30 CEST 2006

Hi people,

an user on Debian pkg-xfce mailing list asked about support of xdg-utils
([0]) in Xfce. It seems that they are a set of tools and apis to provide
"unified" command line access to Desktop operations (screensaver,
filetypes, open url, new mail etc...) I guess most of support is
currently present in Xfce (via exo-open for example), but using xdg-open
doesn't work:

corsac at hidalgo: xdg-open --help                                      [~]
   xdg-open -- opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application

Synopsis

   xdg-open { file | URL }

   xdg-open { --help | --manual | --version }

Use 'man xdg-open' or 'xdg-open --manual' for additional info.
corsac at hidalgo: xdg-open http://www.google.fr                        [~]
xdg-open: no method available for opening 'http://www.google.fr'

Is there some plan to include support for those tools (which aren't
currently widely used, I guess, but this may change in the future) ?

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis

[0]: http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/