hibernate/suspend + reboot/halt

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 21:34:54 CEST 2006

> As said earlier, using g-p-m should be the way to go. That way we don't
> duplicate effort with the nasty pm stuff.

Indeed that would be nice, but it has some disadvantages as well.

It is yet another daemon using up a few megs, especially since upstream
is not interested in making it work w/o gnome libraries. There was a
thread on gnome-desktop about getting rid of gnomeui deps from various
apps but too many things seem to depend on that and none of the app
maintainers seem to care and eliminate the reliance of APIs which have
Gtk equivalents.

The patch in xubuntu is not related to PM only. By using HAL it does
shutdown/reboot as well so that's the orthogonal issue of being able to
do that without sudo password dialog popping up or needing to tweak
config files to avoid that. The PM stuff while way less featureful (and
buggy) than g-p-m it's done with probably a few tens of Kb of overhead
since it's part of session and relies on already running dbus and hal,
no other daemon being involved.

Still I am interested in g-p-m since it replaces the very buggy battery
applet as well, but I want to make sure that if slimming it down cannot
be worked out with upstream there's at least semi-decent fallback in place.

Jani