Recent document support

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Aug 5 09:34:59 CEST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
>>GTK+ 2.10's GtkRecent* and GLib 2.12's GBookmarkFile are XBEL, but the
>>current standard is not. Unfortunately. Well, GNOME people...
>
> I think what matters is what they use in Gnome/KDE etc. as the fd.o spec
> pages are sometimes orphaned. For 2.16 it looks like Gnome apps start
> using the GtkRecent support in 2.10.(gnome-panel HEAD is one example)
>
> Instead of supporting both this and the legacy ~/.recently-used
> format Xfce could just go with the new one. Otherwise Xfce apps will be
> 'legacy' themselves and a reason for the new way not catching up quickly
> enough IMHO.
>
> Whether the best way to do this is to copy GtkRecent to frap or #ifdef
> on gtk >=2.10 in the code I don't know.

Unfortunately, as usual, the responsible GNOME developers did not pay
attention to the upgrade path for users. If we're going to use the
GtkRecent* module now, people will not see any recent files in Xfce for
a long time, until they upgrade to an unstable Gimp/OpenOffice/...

>From my POV, we should atleast merge the ~/.recently-used into the
~/.recently-used.xbel whenever anything is added to the legacy file.
That could be done by said panel plugin. I basicly have parsers for both
formats, so that shouldn't be the problem. I could add this panel plugin
to Thunar, since it will depend on Thunar anyway.

But IMHO this is out of reach for RC1.

> Jani

Benedikt