xfrun4 D-BUS service

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Aug 2 22:47:55 CEST 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 20:38:00 +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> > Sure, but some arbitrary programmatic method that the user has no
> > control over is not very usable.  Not that killing the xfrun4
> > daemon or removing your verve plugin is really usable either, but
> > at least it's something the user has control over.
>
> I don't see the difference here. In fact, if the user adds the verve
> plugin to the panel, then he/she usually expects to use it, and he/she
> has indeed control over this action. Same when removing the verve
> plugin. It's a controlled action, so the software should not stand in
> the way by expecting the user to fire up a terminal and kill a daemon
> the user should never knew about.

Agreed.

BTW, thinking about the OpenDialog method again I somehow begin to
dislike the third run_argument parameter. As only xfrun4 uses it and
Verve doesn't, using this third parameter would lead to a behavioural
incompatibility.

Sure, Verve also behaves differently from xfrun4 in that it uses a
different approach for the command completion (because everything
should stay in the small input field and popups like that of
GEntryCompletion would look ugly), but that's a known difference (it's
already been this way in the minicmd plugin).

Besides, most people probably don't even know about the optional
run_argument feature of xfrun4. So if you ask me, I'd just drop the run
argument.

Regards,
Jannis