xfce_panel_plugin_set_expand() behavior

Adriano Winter Bess awbess at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 21:55:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

I don't understand exactly how xfce_panel_plugin_set_expand() is supposed to
work. I've seen that the tasklist plugin uses it to expand to the maximum size
allowed by the panel, but I had no sucess using it (maybe my mistake?).

In fact what I notice is that when I move a plugin that calls:

	xfce_panel_plugin_set_expand (plugin, TRUE);

to another panel, it is no longer expanded. Please consider the trivial patch
attached to the testplugin in xfce4-panel sources that adds expand = TRUE to the
plugin. I have two panels on my screen, one at the bottom and the other at the
top, both centered and set full width. When I add testplugin to either panel,
the testplugin is expanded as expected. But when I move it to the other panel,
it is no longer expanded anymore. If I move it back to the original panel where
it was added, it doesn't expand either. Same problem happened to me when I was
trying to set expand = TRUE in xfapplet.

What I don't understand is why this is not reproducible with the tasklist
plugin. It has just occurred me that testplugin is external (and also xfapplet),
while tasklist is internal. I don't know if this has actually anything to do
with what I have mentioned, but we have already seen problems that affect just
external plugins.

Regards,
Adriano
--