library sonames

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 16:38:29 CEST 2006

hello

I see that sonames of libxfce4util and libxfcegui4 have been bumped for
beta (and util after beta1 too) even though they were already different
from those in xfce 4.2, having been incremented at the beginning of the
4.3 cycle. Why was this necessary? For specifying library version
requirements during 4.3 development the libraries symbolic versions such
as 4.3.90 should suffice.

More importantly can this change again in the following weeks?
It makes following development bumpier as all packages need to be
rebuilt all at once, and in case of debian/ubuntu package names changed
too preferably, to reflect the new soname.

the libtool versioning doc which Olivier linked too in the previous
thread I opened on this subject, recommends only updating sonames right
before release

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Updating-version-info

Jani