[Xarchiver] -- commandline switches

Stephan Arts psybsd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 21:26:38 CEST 2006

Like most people here might already know, Xarchiver is going to be
equipped with commandline switches. The main reason for this is to
allow thunar to use Xarchiver.

But there are other reasons too, for instance it is much easier to
test the library's behaviour if we can call Xarchiver from a script.
( But this is just a may-be, might never happen -- just something i'd like ;) )

The main question i want to drop here is this:

  'which switches do you want, and which behaviour do you expect?'

The first thing i thought about was to let xarchiver start a new
instances for each filename given to the argument-list.

  $ xarchiver test-1.tgz test-2.tar.gz test-3.zip

then, using a switch for extract, like this:

  $ xarchiver -e /home/stephan/Desktop test-2.tar.gz

should extract archive test-2.tar.gz to /home/stephan/Desktop, or
should that be /home/stephan/Desktop/test-2/ ?
I prefer the former for concistency with underlying archivers, but the
latter prevents tar-bombs.

and for adding:

  $ xarchiver -a /home/stephan/xfce/xarchiver/trunk/COPYING \
                     -a /home/stephan/xfce/xarchiver/trunk/AUTHORS test-1.tgz

Any other suggestions, feel free to let me know

Stephan