addition of panel plugin to orage

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Apr 19 18:15:28 CEST 2006

juha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it is a bit bad time, but as I managed to complete the make
> stuff, I decided to add the "Orage clock" panel plugin now.
> - We are still at beta 1 phase, so I hope this does not cause major
>   problems to anybody?
> - This clock pluging adds back the old 4.2 feature where you can start
>   (and hide/show) orage by pressing the clock. This is now missing
>   from the base 4.4 Xfce clock. (And I don't think it should be put
>   back there. It is better to have a dedicated plugin if you install
>   orage)
> - It is safe since it is external plugin.
> - It adds the possibility to define timezone and see date also.

I have a few complaints:

1. Please change the default! It's really confusing when adding the
plugin to the panel and having the panel grow in size by a factor of two
or three.

2. Please don't put the descriptions for the format into a tooltip, as
the tooltip disappears when writing to the entry box. I'd suggest to put
them into the dialog as "hint section" (see the custom actions editor in
Thunar for an example of what I mean).

3. It'd be nice to have the same timezone selector as in the preferences
for the panel plugin.

4. "Show line 1:" shouldn't be a check button, as its not really useful
to have no lines at all. :-) I'd even suggest to replace the three rows
with a single entry box and allow pango markup for text formatting and
\n for new lines (IIRC there was once a panel plugin that did exactly this).

> /Juha

Benedikt