Summer of Code

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 16:32:15 CEST 2006

On 4/16/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Auke Kok wrote:
> >>a login manager that can choose and show thumbnails of saved sessions
> >>would be nice.
> >>
> >>also, maybe someone could fork evince, there were a couple of patches
> >>in cvs to de-gnomeify it, but it really needs some more work. if you
> >>guys could patch it up and add xfce support, or just make it a generic
> >>gtk app, that would be great.
> >
> > c'mon - we're asking for simple ideas and you come up with the most bloated
> > ideas possible!
> >
> > Xfce needs a 'simple' login manager that is safe. It would be nice if it can
> > also start sessions of other desktops, but there it ends.
> >
> > supporting desktop screenshots requires the WM to save one on logout,
> > needlessly slowing things down.
>
> xfce4-session already supports session screenshots, so that shouldn't be
> the problem. :-)
>
> > Auke

which is why i was tossing out the idea. someone might find it
interesting. i think if you have multiple saved sessions, it would be
a nice option, just set it up with the alt+tab code, instead of
whatevers used as a session picker right now.

also @ sofar, i think a file manager, media player, and cd burner are
awful high end for a simple DE. i just thought someone could poke
around and fix it up. all it needs is the gnome deps removed, and
youll have the eternal gratitude of anyone who uses pdfs without
gnome.