Summer of Code

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sun Apr 16 05:33:34 CEST 2006

Aaron wrote:
> a login manager that can choose and show thumbnails of saved sessions
> would be nice.
>
> also, maybe someone could fork evince, there were a couple of patches
> in cvs to de-gnomeify it, but it really needs some more work. if you
> guys could patch it up and add xfce support, or just make it a generic
> gtk app, that would be great.

c'mon - we're asking for simple ideas and you come up with the most bloated
ideas possible!

Xfce needs a 'simple' login manager that is safe. It would be nice if it can
also start sessions of other desktops, but there it ends.

supporting desktop screenshots requires the WM to save one on logout,
needlessly slowing things down. And when did are you supposed to see the
screenshots? before you enter your password? that would be a privacy
information leak - and after you enter your password is silly - you don't want
more choices.

Doing stuff with evince would be nice, but you don't want to make it an Xfce
app, as a DE has no place for such high-end applications.

Auke

PS we prefer bottom-posting on this list.