Aw: Re: Default settings for 4.4

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sun Apr 9 19:18:40 CEST 2006

Stephan wrote:
> On 4/9/06, SZERVÁC Attila <sas at 321.hu> wrote:

>>> iirc alternatives are the Debian way. You can't assume every xfce users
>>> will use a Debian (or derived) distro :)
>> Sure. But many (most?) users use are using Debian based distro:
>>
>>     http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=independence
>>
>> So if setup script can't find preferred apps, can support most Linux and
>> all Hurd distro by Debian way.
>

> Debian-packagers can figure that out... if someone takes the tarball of the
> xfce-site we cannot assume Debian or any other distro.

the "debian" way is definately not the preferred way, even though they have
gained substantial momentum in the last 2 years. Undoubtably this will shrink
and grow, and debian will just remain "one of the distros".

It is never smart to pick a certain flavour for a project, especially a
project like Xfce. We have tried to stay as much as possible distro-neutral as
we can, and that is exactly what has made Xfce succesfull. Please keep this in
mind - we definately appreciate distro's like debian because they make an
effort in supporting Xfce, but we really have to avoid putting a "debian"
stamp (or fedora stamp, or lunar stamp etc..) on Xfce.

This goes for everything in Xfce, even small things like the /etc/alternatives/.

Pointing to distrowatch is stupid too, their statistics are based on clicks
and only geeks will follow links. I am 100% sure that redhat and suse take up
more than 50% of the entire market, and FC a good third, but hardly anyone who
runs redhat will ever know about distrowatch.

so, I agree with Stephan - if debian/ubuntu wants to add to xfce packages,
they already do and will - we shouldn't make other people jump through loops
and provide *everyone* with sane defaults.

Auke