Aw: Re: Default settings for 4.4

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun Apr 9 13:17:47 CEST 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 22:29:41 -0400
Aaron <aaronf0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> well, this is what i would suggest for a default configuration. as
> most people use gaim, that might want a place in there, i forgot to
> take it out, but i had it in when some version of gaim was crashing
> frequently.

We should only put very basic launchers into the default panel. I don't
think "most people use gaim". We can even assume a lot of people do not
use instant messengers at all.

> you can replace irssi with a irc client, i have no clue whats popular
> now days.

Same applies here.

> erm, if you dont use abiword, put in OOo writer? are small switches
> that big of a deal?

Or better, not put any office launchers into the panel. Some people
need oocalc more than oowriter, some may have oocalc2 or oowriter2
installed, some may not use OpenOffice at all and some don't even use
office suites.

> and as YOU have no way to easily launch a root terminal, maybe YOU
> could make a small script to find out which terminal they should use,
> and how it should be started as root? because not everyone runs on
> ubuntu...

"exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator" or "xfterm4" should do it. No need
for a special root terminal launcher, I think.

> and im sorry if the monitors are packed as goodies, maybe that should
> be changed? you know alot of people use things like that... (stupid
> noconformist userbase wanting standard features...)

Well, they will probably never be moved into the core. Nevertheless, I
think it would be great to have a better presentation of the goodies on
the web.
Currently, nobody really has an overview over which plugins are
up-to-date, which are still maintained and which are obsolete (e.g. the
minicmd plugin). After 4.4, we should build up the often discussed
goodies.xfce.org and applications.xfce.org repositories and move the
goodies SVN to xfce.org.
It would be cool to have RSS feeds for the mentioned repository
websites. This way we could provide a better release overview to the
users.

Back to the actual problem: Although a lot of basic panel plugins will
not be part of the core (among them the monitors we talked about),
InstallIt will offer a clean and fast way to download, compile and
install them, either into the system (for all users) or into the home
directory of the user. So you no longer have to fetch, compile and
install goodies one after another - instead, you get an immediate
overview of the available plugins.

- Jannis