mcs-manager dialog too wide

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Apr 2 00:22:07 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Adriano Winter Bess wrote:

>>> Thanks for the hint. In fact, gettext did not complain because of the different
>>> number of newlines, but anyway it didn't look like the best thing to be done. In
>>> my opinion this problem has nothing do with alignment, but it is related to line
>>> breaking and proper justification.
>>>
>>> I saw in the xfce-mcs-manager code that line wrapping is set to TRUE for the
>>> labels, but the line wrapping doesn't happen at all unless the label width is
>>> explicitely restricted through gtk_widget_set_size_request(). Of course it would
>>> still need proper justification. Maybe we could agree on a "maximum width" for
>>> the buttons?
>
> That would be fine, if you can account for font size somehow.  Or maybe
> just make it icon_width + some_constant.  I dunno.  Maybe just play
> around with some different numbers at different screen resolutions and
> different font sizes?
>
> 	-brian

The same problem also affects the xfce4-session-logout dialog in
Finnish. The common (and good) Finnish translation for "Restart" is
"Käynnistä uudelleen" which makes the buttons look insanely wide unless
forcibly wrapped. I know it's stupid and all but there's been a
linebreak in the Finnish translation for quite some time. Gettext
doesn't seem to mind so I thought I'd use it as a temporary solution
until something else is done about the problem. I'll be more than happy
to remove the newline if the button width can be restricted here as well.

I've been meaning to take this up on xfce-i18n but I keep forgetting...

- Jari