xffm compile problem as non root

Kevin Fenzi kevin-xfce-dev at tummy.com
Fri Sep 23 05:10:59 CEST 2005

>>>>> "Edscott" == Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org> writes:

Edscott> El jue, 22-09-2005 a las 19:47 -0600, Kevin Fenzi escribió:

>> Greetings.
>>
>> Not sure if this is the right place, but I thought I would try here
>> first.

Edscott> Yes, this is the place.

excellent.

>> I am trying to get the latest xffm (4.3.3.1) from xffm.sf.net built
>> and tested so I can update the version in fedora-extras.
>>
>> It looks like it has an issue building as a non-root user. It has a
>> hard coded path in the docs in 'install-exec-am'.
>>
>> I can probibly patch around it, but it would be good to get fixed
>> upstream. Is this the right place to ask? Any ideas on a quick fix?
>>
>> Here's the tail of the build log... happy to provide any additional
>> information...

Edscott> If I understand correctly, it seems to be this part of the
Edscott> xffm/docs/Makefile.am:

Edscott> install-data-local: ( cd $(datadir)/xffm; \ rm -f doc;
Edscott> $(LN_S) ../xfce4/doc doc; \ )

Edscott> This seems to get hardcoded to whatever is set in the
Edscott> --prefix option used when you run the configure script. I
Edscott> suppose you can specify a non-root target spot. But this also
Edscott> means that $prefix/lib should be in the ld path, otherwise
Edscott> the libraries will not be found. There are similar symbolic
Edscott> link creations in xffm/src directory. HTH.

Yeah, but the ones is xffm/src are:
(from Makefile.am):

install-data-local:
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)
        ( cd $(DESTDIR)$(bindir); \
          rm -r xffm; $(LN_S) xffm-run xffm; \

So, it has a $(DESTDIR) in there, so it will work under a non system
root...

The doc dir has in (Makefile.am):

install-data-local:
        ( cd $(datadir)/xffm; \
          rm -f doc; $(LN_S) ../xfce4/doc doc; \
        )

So, I think we need a $(DESTDIR) in there before datadir?

kevin