Notes on the new panel

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Sep 22 11:46:41 CEST 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>>>99.99% would be closer, I think. I'm still in favor of moving it.
>>>
>>>One of the advantages of being small (still) is that the damage of
>>>breaking compatibility is smaller as well.
>>>
>>>Anyone else want to comment on this? Benny? Olivier?
>>
>>Put it into the clock plugin (remember, you'll need to use dynamic types
>>here if you want to use it in-process), but don't remove it from
>>libxfcegui4 now.
>
> Hmm, very good point... dynamic types... I'll have to look that up ;-)

You just need to pass a GTypeModule (or a custom GTypePlugin
implementation) to the plugin, which is then used by the plugin to
register types. The loading and unloading is then controlled by GType
instead of the application, which is somewhat different to what the
panel does right now.

If you are looking for an example, you can check the thunarx library and
the ThunarExtensionManager class.

> 	Jasper

greets,
Benedikt