Panel Plugins

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 14 23:51:32 CEST 2005

On 9/14/2005 2:44 PM, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
>>- Menu
>>   The Xfce menu plugin should at least be part of the default Xfce
>>   install. If there will be a common menu implementation in libxfcegui4
>>   it could be part   of the panel, otherwise it should probably remain
>>   in xfdesktop.
>

> Brian said he lost interest to work on this so we're probably bound to
> what we have right now.

Botsie started to look at this, so maybe not.

>>- CDE-like switcher. For old times sake? Sounds like a candidate fpr
>>   xfce-goodies to me...
>

> Definitely a goodie.

Agree.

>>Other Plugins
>>- Clock
>>   Perhaps merge with date-time?
>

> Yep.

Definitely.  Perhaps enhance it a bit with a few "default" date/time
formats in a drop-down, with a "custom" option.  Just to make it easier
on people who want something common but don't want to futz with
strftime() strings.

>>- System Tray
>>   I currently optionally show the time in the systray. This is a common
>>   setup in other environments, but of course duplicates functionality of
>>   the clock. Should it be in there?
>
> People requested this quite often and it's really easy, so I'd say, it
> should be in.

Disagree.  Why put the clock in the systray if it's already a separate
item?  If a user wants a clock next to the systray, they can just put
one there.

>>- Special actions
>>   Quit, lock screen, settings and about. The current system buttons.
>>   I don't think the current imlpementation is the best we can do, but I
>>   have no real idea about how to implement this differently. Not sure we
>>   need all these actions. Quit and Lock screen might be enough...
>

> Ack. About and Settings are better implemented as launchers.

Agree, and I'd suggest making the system buttons (the remaining ones)
single-button applets that look like launchers, with the option to do
one of the different tasks.

	-brian