Panel Plugins

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Sep 14 23:33:25 CEST 2005

Hey all,

Today I have committed a rather large amount of code to implement the
launcher plugin for the new panel. It seems to work well.

So I thought this might be a good time to think about what plugins the
panel should provide by default. Please reply to this mail with comments
and suggestions:

Programs
- Launcher
   Mostly done.

- Menu
   The Xfce menu plugin should at least be part of the default Xfce
   install. If there will be a common menu implementation in libxfcegui4
   it could be part   of the panel, otherwise it should probably remain
   in xfdesktop.

Window Management
- Tasklist
   Not sure the current tasklist implementation is the best we can do...

- Iconbox
   Possibly just a special case of the tasklist, without the labels.
   Sizing is a bit different though.

- Pager

- CDE-like switcher. For old times sake? Sounds like a candidate fpr
   xfce-goodies to me...

Layout
- Separator
- Flexible space

Other Plugins
- Clock
   Perhaps merge with date-time?

- System Tray
   I currently optionally show the time in the systray. This is a common
   setup in other environments, but of course duplicates functionality of
   the clock. Should it be in there?

- Special actions
   Quit, lock screen, settings and about. The current system buttons.
   I don't think the current imlpementation is the best we can do, but I
   have no real idea about how to implement this differently. Not sure we
   need all these actions. Quit and Lock screen might be enough...

Ok, anything I missed that should be available in a default install?

Any volunteers to implement some of them? ;-)

Much code can be copied from current panel plugins, but I'd like to make
sure that the plugins included with the panel are of the highest quality.

Thanks,
	Jasper