Heisenbug in the panel

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Sep 13 10:36:46 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>>Now when I start the panel I get a "Broken Pipe" error - possibly an
>>>interaction with the session manager? I tried to start the panel under
>>>GDB - and lo and behold, it worked! Ran it without GDB, and it didn't.
>
> Yeah, it's something wrong with the session manager.  I get this
> occasionally after running xfce for a while, and killing and restarting
> xfdesktop or the panel when I'm testing something.  Not sure what causes
> it.  Unsetting SESSION_MANAGER allows the app to start, but without
> session management.  Mainly, it's Linux being retarded and aborting on
> SIGPIPE.  But still, seems like the session manager is having issues.

There was a bug in xfce4-session with SIGPIPE on Linux, but that's fixed
long ago (on the session managers side) by just ignoring SIGPIPE at all
and waiting for the send/write to return EPIPE. Anyways that's on the
session manager side and has certainly nothing to do with the application.

I'd suggest to add a signal(SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN) to the application (for
testing) and check which connection breaks (on Linux, SIGPIPE is only
generated when trying to write to a closed connection, so that may help
in trying to find the cause).

> 	-b

Benedikt