stickiness and expose

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Wed Sep 7 14:54:06 CEST 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:35:03 +0000, rootsuid <rootsuid at gmail.com> said:

> I love making windows sticky with other windows.. makes everything
> line up and look pretty. The stickiness setting does nothing while
> resizing. An option for that would be nice =], just seeing if that
> subject is on anyone's list, if not I'll make that mod myself too =].

It's not on anyone's list, but it would be cool, although IMO it shouldn't be
optional *on top of* sticking while moving - if you stick to windows, you stick
in all operations.

> Complete side subject: I'd love something like expose` (mac software,
> makes all windows visible) for xfce, would work well as a little
> addon. I haven't looked at any xfce window code, so if any devs want
> to point me in the direction, or notify me of a better solution, I'm
> very open to suggestions.

I know there's SkippyXD out there that does this (even though IMO it's the
windows manager's job to.. er.. manage the windows this way).

A cool variation on the theme is using something like expose, but keeping
alt-tabbish behavior -
eg: alt-tab -> expose looking thing. alt tabbing cycles windows there, but
clicking can also select a window.

Obviously you'd want compoisite support for this, and I don't know if a patch
that would do this would get accepted into xfwm4 (it might, if it's well
written and low overhead, but it may well get rejected as bloat. I don't know.)

--
Most of your faults are not your fault.