New panel framework

Erik Harrison erikharrison at xfce.org
Sat Sep 3 04:04:08 CEST 2005

Replying using my @xfce address, since I've gotten it working, I think

On 9/1/05, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
<Lots of good stuff>
> * Does the panel plugin system look like it will be able to support all
>    current functionality?

Since plugins can now be external processes communicating over a
GtkSocket, what's the chances that the (Three!) xfce language bindings
will support writing panel plugins.

Technically I imagine it was possible to do before, but you'd have a
perl or python interpreter running in the panels process space.

Of course, external plugins won't be possible, but is there a way you
are launching panels that would prevent plugins for being written with
the bindings?

And bindings guys (Jeff, Danny, Brian) would you be willing to write
the support for the panel if it is possible?

> I don't think it is time yet to start porting plugins, but it shouldn't
> be very hard to do. Again, information about the plugin system is
> available in README.Plugins.
>
> I know it sometimes crashes on exit. It probably has to do with
> GtkSockets being destroyed while they are being removed from the panel.
> Or something.
>
> So, for anyone who has some time to waste and would like to help me
> create a new panel for 4.4, here is your chance. Enjoy!
>
> Thanks,
>         Jasper

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik