New panel framework

Nicolas Masse masse_nicolas at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 2 20:21:09 CEST 2005

A panel working as a sidebar you said? Well, I think it will be possible with the coming panel. From my point of view, if you want a panel on the side, then it is to the plugins to change their layout accordanatly. But the panel itself can stay as he is (or I miss something?). I also tried the program you spoke about (on my brother's computer lol). From an implementation point of view, all I see can be implemented as panel plugins. The only thing this program has is his ability to hide some of the application running in it, so if we want that, just an ability for the panel to hide some of his plugins(or reduce them on a labeled button). Adding this possibility could be nice, but since the panel is already being rewritten, this can be a good idea for the 4.6 version. (Also I dont see any incompatibilty with the current panel, correct me if I'm wrong).
And also you said that no panel does this correctly, possible but I think I already found something like this being an idea for gnome panel's future. (can't find the page where I saw this).
But again, I think lots of this is just a layout problem, and the plugin themself have a lot of responsabilities then.

Just my opinion ;-),
Masse Nicolas.