New panel framework

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Sep 1 22:57:50 CEST 2005

Hey all,

I have just created and experimental branch for the panel, into which I
imported the sources of a new panel framework that I've been working on
for, well, for a long time ;)

It may disappoint you to learn that it doesn't do anything useful yet.
In fact, there is a lot of basic functionality still missing. But, it
should be possible for a developer to get a good idea of the general design.

To test it do the following:

1) ./autogen.sh --prefix=/somewhere/safe && make && make install

2a) mkdir -p ~/.local/share/xfce4
2b) ln -s /somewhere/safe/share/xfce4/panel-plugins \
	  ~/.local/share/xfce4/panel-plugins

(This is need for the new panel to find its plugins. Disaster awaits
otherwise).

3) LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/somewhere/safe/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
	/somewhere/safe/bin/xfce4-panel &

4) Play around with it. Be sure to right-click on the items.

5) /somewhere/safe/bin/xfce4-panel -x  (if it didn't crash earlier)
    Try '/somewhere/safe/bin/xfce4-panel -h' for more available options.

After that, please also have a look at the code and see if it makes
sense to you. For the plugin system read README.Plugins first.

It does support a lot of cool things already, but most of the
implementation is incomplete:
* multiple panels
* both internal and external plugins (an example of each is included)
* transparency, autohide, size, monitor settings, fixed width
* either a fixed position or floating with horizontal or vertical
   orientation

I'd like to know a few things:

* Does it work?

* Does the dialog design and the available options look useful.

* Does the panel plugin system look like it will be able to support all
   current functionality?

I don't think it is time yet to start porting plugins, but it shouldn't
be very hard to do. Again, information about the plugin system is
available in README.Plugins.

I know it sometimes crashes on exit. It probably has to do with
GtkSockets being destroyed while they are being removed from the panel.
Or something.

So, for anyone who has some time to waste and would like to help me
create a new panel for 4.4, here is your chance. Enjoy!

Thanks,
	Jasper