svn --switch weirdness

Carol Spears carol at gimp.org
Sun Oct 30 23:38:04 CET 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 10:46:34AM -0800, Auke Kok wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> >
> >svn really did not want to make the --switch when i put the same last
> >directories on the TO path that were on the FROM path.  the email about
> >how to do this made it sound to simple to screw up that much.
> >

> no problem as long as you're not doing it on purpose! Switching to
> subversion can be tricky and there are some things that require
> adjustment. Reading the basic manuals of subversion never revealed that
> information to me - I had to learn it all by making mistakes too ;^)
>

> I guess the catch is that subversion updates *everything* in the current
> directory if you do an svn _up_, including _new_ trees beneath it. If
> you have a working copy of the repository (e.g.) xfce4/xfwm4/trunk and
> you do an svn up inside 'xfce4'... you will get ALL of xfce4.
>
> Most likely you are better off separately checking out all /trunk/ parts
> into a directory which is not part of any svn repo. This is exactly what
> kelnos' svn build script does, for instance, and that is a good place to
> start.
>
> Also the /modules/trunk/ is another good place to start - it "inserts"
> parts of the svn repository and will never traverse outside of whatever
> is defined in the /modules/trunk/.

well, it is typical after a change of cvs server that you need to check
everything out again.  i have no problem doing this for svn as well.
intersting though, the use of the words.  the script sounds interesting
if for no other reason than to save the trial and error parts of the
build process.

thanks for your patience.  at least one thing was certain, neither one
of us wanted what seemed to be happening to actually happen....

better to break software than people.

carol